Post 11


Stephen Crane's

A man said to the universe:

“Sir, I exist!”
“However,” replied the universe,
“The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation.”


     I chose this metaphor because to me it is about a man, who represents mankind, who is contemplating his existence. The universe represents a god-like figure. 
The man in the poem declares his existence to the world in order to be recognized, to feel that his presence is valued, and that he has significance in the big scheme of things. At the very least, man wants to be accepted by the world around him. It's fascinating how something so lighthearted can also be profound and serious. It's a painful truth that the world doesn't care about humanity, either as a whole or as individuals, since it's simply too big! While it's good to set huge goals and accomplish things, this poem is urging us to keep it in context. It's pointless to attempt to impress the world if you don't remember your friends and family. Despite the size of our universe and the world we live in, I believe that we may have a big effect on and experience connectedness with everything in it. Every human being, no matter how insignificant, is important in our planet, in my opinion.

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your blog I found this very interesting

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post 8

Post 12

Post 7